Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My experience learning English at the university

When I was in the school, I had a teacher that have the same method that the teachers in the university. For this reason it wasn`t much difficult to me learn and adapt to the system. The first time that I come to the university, I had to do a test for know in what level of english I was. I really felt that I was a basic knowledge in english and I though that I would be in an advanced course, but it`s wasn`t. I had to begin with “started”. In the beginning it wasn`t like me but then, I saw this situation like an opportunity to practice and improve my english.

I think that the english at the university is very good for us. We have to know and speak english because our profession demands a strong understanding of this language. We have to read a lot of papers and if you want to send to a famous magazine some work or your thesis, it has to be in english.

The only problem is that when you finish all the levels of english that you have to do in an obligatory way, you don`t have other courses in the degree. For this reason, you forget a lot of words and you lose the practice. Is true that we have to read papers and things like that, but you don`t have a space to peak with someone else in this language. This is the thing that motivates me to take this subject. I felt that I had to take up again the english or it would pass to be just a memory in my mind.

I feel that I have learned very much in this “Pilot” course. The only problem is that I`m so shy and is difficult to me speak when people are looking me. I enjoyed gritting my blogs and I think that my vocabulary is better than before.

To finish, I can say that my career have to put obligatory english all years and in this way we will be more prepare to face up the future. The teachers should motive us to speak in english. In the other hand, I know that a lot of people didn`t have a good english in the school, so the university should have more programs to level these students. To people who know english, maybe the university could foster other language that could be useful on our life like French or Chinese. I really want to learn more english because I think that is very important to me. I hope that some day I can travel to other countries to perfect my knowledge and be a better vet, so I will need to manage a universal language like english.



No comments:

Post a Comment